Monday, November 15, 2010

Been riding again since the 11th, Dad is feeling a little better.

Been on the mountain bike since the 11th, getting in about 45 miles each day. I am sure I will not make it to 1000 miles this month. Had to replace the chain and the freewheel (the gear set on the rear wheel).  Finding a chain was easy, but finding a freewheel for a 25 year old mountain bike was hard.  I stopped in to Performance Bicycle in San Mateo and spoke with Jae, He was able to come up with a rebuilt freewheel from somewhere that was in much better shape than mine.  If you have an older bicycle Jae is the person to talk to, in fact if you have a bicycle he is the man when it comes to fixing things.  He told me that the wheel bearings are starting to fail on my bike, but that they do not make that type of wheel any longer. I told him I am not surprised that they are starting to fail after 25 years and more than 300,000 miles.  He told me he had a rebuilt wheel set at home that he could put on my bicycle for $115.00 parts and labor.  Think I will take him up on the offer, wonder if he can come up with some rebuilt Suntour Front and Rear derailers? Would be nice.

No comments: