Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Very Nice Day.

Woke up this morning and it was a very nice day sunny and quite warm.  So I quickly got dressed and out for a bike ride. Seems everyone had the same idea. I would guess that about 90% of the people out on their bicycles, roller blades and walking had the same thought as I did but they only have it a few times a year.  There are rules on the Bay Trail and I am sure most of the people I saw where quite unaware of them.  The major rule is to keep to the right unless passing (just like on any road).  When passing someone you are to warn them with a bell or by yelling something like "On your left" or "Passing on your left".  Seems a good number of people have no idea what side is their left and what side is their right.  Here is a good example of what plagued me all day long.  I was rapidly approaching a family on bicycles. I warned them with a call of passing on your left. The mother, and two of her children broke left into my path, so I moved right to be blocked by a young girl who had stopped in the middle of the path and her father who was on the right side of the road.  I had to stop and so did the people cycling from the other direction.  It took twice as long to reach my northern goal than normal.  I rode back home following the El Camino Real.  Lots of cars but at least they appeared to understand the rules of the road.  Maybe if I go out earlier tomorrow I will not find the trail congested, we will see.   

No comments: